What's Building In Louisville?
I hadn't really thought about it much until it was pointed out, but there is A LOT going on in Louisville with regards to building and development. Look around! It seems like every corner is getting updated with something.
This list is from a post by our friend Emory Williamson. This was pulled from his Facebook page. It is neither official or likely complete, but I thought it was quite interesting to see this on paper, as it will really have an impact on our city in the coming years.
1. Currently, these are the 50 (with two updates!) biggest development projects in Louisville.
2. I used to build imaginary cities alone in my room as a child. I didn't have many friends.
3. I've been updating this extensive list in an e-mail draft for more than a year because I'm a nerd and obsessed with city planning. But I'm really just a nerd.
4. If you don't already, you should pay close attention to development projects in our city for they contain numerous positive - and sometimes negative - implications. Some are exciting and others are loaded with problems.
5. This list is long.
***University of Louisville***
1. Swain Student Activities Center - $40 million renovation that will add more than 30,000 square feet while updating and/or overhauling bookstore, lounges, lobbies, and restaurants. Expected Completion: January 2018
2. Institute for Product Realization - $36 million, 225,000 square foot major additions to the Belknap Engineering and Applied Sciences Research Park. Expected Completion: 2018
3. Academic Building - $80 million, 150,000 square foot, four-story academic-based building to replace Crawford Gym on U of L's Belknap Campus. Expected Completion: Fall 2018
4. Papa John's Cardinal Stadium - $63 million expansion of football stadium with several renovations included and an addition of 10,000 seats that will bring capacity to 65,000. Expected Completion: 2018
(If you haven't already, you should check out the two new housing developments on U of L's campus - The Nine and University Pointe - and the roundabout on Cardinal/Floyd)
5. Bradford Mill Lofts - $20 million project to revitalize former mill into 147 loft-style apartment units. The buildings are located at the corner of East Oak/Reutlinger. It will include a 3,708-square-foot restaurant. Expected Completion: Summer 2017
6. Axis on Lexington - $45 million 300-unit apartment complex in three 5-story buildings. Located on Lexington Road across from Headliners Music Hall. Expected Completion: Late 2017
7. (There is a possible $200-$400 million project planned for the Grinstead Drive and Lexington Road triangle area, near Cherokee Park)
8. Former Phoenix Hill Tavern Site - $50 million 4-story building, 281-unit apartment complex to replace old Phoenix Hill Tavern. (unsure of many details)
9. Former Mercy Academy Site - 4-story building, 195 upscale apartment units to replace former Mercy Academy building on East Broadway. (unsure of many details)
10. Paristown Pointe - $28 million project that will help build an arts/culture hub in the wedge-shaped area that's near East Broadway/Barrett Avenue/Kentucky Street. It will include major renovations to Louisville Stoneware, construction of a Goodwood Brewing facility, and construction of a multipurpose performance space by the Kentucky Center for the Performing Arts. Expected Completion: 2018
11. Butcher's Block - $1.2 million renovation of nine dilapidated properties along East Main Street/East Washington Street/Wenzel Street. Block to include outdoor courtyard and includes Vietnamese restaurant Pho Ba Luu, interior design store Stag + Doe, gift shop Louabull, soon-to-open coffee shop Red Hot Roasters, and recently opened Hi-Five Doughnuts. Expected Completion: Late 2016-through 2017
12. Main & Clay Apartments - $48 million 262-unit 7-story apartment complex on East Main. Expected Completion: Summer 2017
13. Story Avenue Park - Renovation/improvement project of 1.8 acre park area in the 1500-block of Story Avenue near I-64 and Adams Street. (unsure of many details)
14. RiverPark Place - Construction of 7-story, 143,000 square foot, 110-unit apartment building off of River Road. May include restaurant and plaza. (unsure of many details)
15. Waterfront Botanical Gardens - 29-acre, multi-million dollar project at the corner of River Road and Frankfort Avenue.
16. Kentucky Journey into the Oceans - 200,000 square foot, $60-80 aquarium covering 50 acres on Champions Parks off of River Road. Project will feature outdoor park, 20-30 rides, and a animatronic dinosaur exhibit.
17. Flying Axes - Installing facility within industrial warehouse on the southwest corner of Clay and Frankfort streets - near the Louisville Extreme Park.
18. Hotel NuLu/AC Hotel by Marriott - $38.6 million 140-room boutique hotel on East Market with a restaurant and 8,000 square feet of retail space. (unsure of many details)
19. Home2Suites Hotel - 5-story, 50,000 square feet, 100-room hotel at corner of Hancock/Jefferson. Expected Completion: Spring 2017 (unsure of many details)
20. Rabbit Hole Distilling - Distillery that will connect Jefferson and Market streets and will feature event space, tasting room, gift shop, restaurant, and an outdoor space. It is one of FIVE distilleries expected to open by 2018. Expected Completion: Late 2017
21. 700 East Main Street - $52 million, 5-story apartment complex with 272 residential units, a large parking garage, and 5,000 square feet of retail. This covers the location of that large, blue Service Tanks building on Main Street. Expected Completion: Summer/Fall 2018
22. Quill's Headquarters and Roastery - to be located around 801 East Main Street in an old firehouse building.
23. Nucleus Building II - $40 million 11-story office tower on East Market with retail and office components. Will be located next to current Nucleus Building. Expected Completion: 2018
24. U of L Downtown Medical Facility - $79 million, 8-story, 170,000 square foot pediatric medical office building located on U of L's Health Sciences Campus. (unsure of many details)
25. Cambria Hotel - $27 million, 128-room, 111,000 square foot luxury hotel for S. Floyd St. and will replace former Connection location (unsure of many details)
26. Westin/Moxy Hotel - $80 million, 15-story, 300-room dual hotel complex planned for First and Main. Expected Completion: 2019
27. 111 Whiskey Row (including Old Forester Distillery) - $45 million mixed-use development on Main Street with plans for restaurants, apartments, and office space. Expected Completion: Fall 2017
28. Omni Louisville Hotel - Enormous $320 million, 30-story mixed-use development with 612 hotel rooms, 225 luxury apartments, multiple restaurants, and a grocery store. Second/Third/Liberty/Muhammad Ali. Expected Completion: Summer 2018
29. Kentucky International Convention Center - $207 million major renovation and expansion. Expected Completion: August 2018
30. Starks Building - $110 million renovation for a mixed-use development to add 230-room Canopy by Hilton hotel, 100 upscale apartments, a rooftop restaurant and bar, health spa, retail space, and more restaurants. Expected Completion: Late 2017
31. Fourth Street Apartment Complex - 237-unit apartment complex with 7,000 square feet of commercial space (unsure of many details)
32. Hotel Indigo - $30 million renovation of former Republic Building on Muhammad Ali Blvd. into 11-story, 85-room hotel. Expected Completion: Late 2017
33. Kindred Square - $39.5 million expansion of S. 4th St. Kindred Healthcare headquarters. Will add a 6-story, 142,000 square foot building. Expected Completion: 2017
34. Homewood Suites - $23 million, 134-room extended stay hotel planned for West Market/Seventh Street. Expected Completion: Late 2017
35. Downtown Boutique Hotel - West Main Street location inside a former Main Street office building. Expected Completion: Fall 2017 (unsure of many details)
36. Michter's Distillery - Renovation of historic 4-story building into bourbon distillery on West Main Street. (unsure of many details)
37. West Main Street - $20 million renovation for office and retail space in 800 block of West Main Street with rooftop bar and restaurant. Expected Completion: Late 2017/Early 2018
***South Broadway (SoBro)/Spalding University***
38. 800 Tower City Apartments - $10 million renovation of the 29-story apartment tower with 286 luxury apartments and penthouses. Expected Completion: Very Soon (my parents said this was "the place to live" in the 1970s)
39. JCTC - $33 million, 3-story, 80,000 square foot Advanced Manufacturing and Information Technology Center at the corner of First and College. Recently received a $15 million grant from the state. Eliminates surface-level parking lot and adds large facility to depleted area.
40. Luckett and Farley Development - 40,000 square foot development on Third Street that will house Luckett & Farley, other office space, and housing.
41. Spalding University - $30 million toward new athletics complex and extensive green space. Athletics complex - baseball, soccer, and lacrosse fields will be located on Kentucky/Ninth on a former industrial property. Extensive green space for student use includes a few areas, but most will be located on Kentucky/Second on 2.2 acres of abandoned parking lots.
(For Spalding, it will be interesting to see if the school pursues soon-to-be closed Kroger grocery store and if area plans any new grocery options)
42. Russell Neighborhood Development - $30 million grant from HUD to redevelop/revitalize/transform many parts of Russell Neighborhood with nearly $200 million from other various sources. Redevelopment will include the deconstruction and rebuilding of Beecher Terrace public housing site into mixed-income, mixed-use development, recreating service and retail centers in area, and several other various improvements.
43. The Healing Place - $29 million expansion to nonprofit facility that assists those with drug addictions. Will add 4-story building and hundreds of more beds. Expected Completion: 2017/2018
44. Bellarmine Centro - $25 million renovation of Horrigan Hall and construction of 3-story, 47,000 square foot atrium on Newburg Road. Expected Completion: Late 2016/Early 2017
45. Athletic Facility - 11-acre athletic facility expansion on Newburg Road/Champions Trace Lane that includes a fieldhouse with indoor practice fields, 2,500 seat stadium, tennis courts, and locker rooms. (unsure of many details)
46. Heritage Green - $35 million renovation of former Americana apartments into 560-unit apartment complex on Southland Blvd. Expected Completion: 2016/2017
47. Colonial Gardens - $4 million redevelopment of historic property and construction of 2 one-story buildings and it would house as many as three family-style local restaurant concepts. Expected Completion: 2018
48. Tentative plans for two hotel towers on Fair & Expo property. (unsure of many details)
49. "Dixie Do-Over" - $70 million project will add a Kroger Marketplace superstore and will include safety and efficiency improvements with roadways, traffic signals, medians, crosswalks, turning lanes, public bus stops/shelters, and sidewalks. It will also feature the region's first "bus rapid transit" line with specialty buses and is considered the most advanced public transportation system in the region.
50. Louisville FC Soccer Stadium - Unsure of many details, but soccer stadium will sit 10,000 with capabilities of being expanded to sit 20,000 in near future.
Update: Griff's, an upscale sports bar, will replace the former O'Malley's Corner at Second and Liberty and will feature a rooftop beer garden.
Update: Norton Children's Hospital will undergo a $78 renovation that will include building a cardiac intensive care unit and renovating two neonatal care units and the Just For Kids Critical Care Center. Expected Completion: 2021